The Narrative Writing Pack is bursting with educational posters, activities and display resources to help your children to write amazing stories!
Join Teaching Packs to download these resources today!
- Fifteen Narrative Writing Posters - Help your children to learn all about the features of narrative writing with our eye-catching posters. They can be used as a whole class teaching tool, as an independent reference tool or on your classroom displays. The posters are also available in a smaller card format.
- Two Narrative Writing Table Mats - A single page that outlines the features of narrative writing. Use it as a table mat (for children to refer to during their writing activities) or display it in your classroom! Two versions are included for use with younger / older students.
- Three Narrative Writing Checklists - Give your children a copy of our handy checklists while they are planning, drafting, writing and improving their narrative writing. Available in two versions (for differentiation) and with an editable Word document so that you can add your own checklist items.
- Ten Describing Characters Resources - The resource sheets can be used to help your children describe different aspects of the characters in their story. Multiple versions of the resources are available for younger / older students.
- Three 'Planning Characters' Templates - Three different templates to help your children to think about the characters that they are going to use in their narrative writing. Each template includes space for a picture - why not use the Characters Cards from our Writing Prompts pack?
- Twenty Settings Vocabulary Resources - A selection of words and phrases that can be used to describe ten different settings. A fantastic reference tool for your children's writing!
- Three 'Planning Settings' Templates - Encourage your children to think about the settings for their narrative writing with these planning templates. Three different templates are available, with space for a picture (which could come from the Settings Cards in our Writing Prompts pack).
- Four Planning Narrative Writing Templates - A set of planning templates to help your children work out the characters, setting and plot of their stories. Includes an editable Word version so that you can adapt the text as appropriate.
- One Writing Process Poster - A poster that outlines five steps in the writing process. Share this with your class as they progress through each step of their narrative writing.
- Sixty Story Openings – Can your children sort the story openings into different groups (and then write their own examples) or use these as the starting point for their own narrative writing?
- Thirty-Six Story Endings - Sort the story endings into different groups or use them in your own writing!
- Forty-Eight 'Pick a Problem' Cards - A huge collection of ideas for 'problems' to include within your children's stories. How will your students choose to resolve each problem?
- Sixty-Four One Word Titles - A set of cards, each of which contains a single word. Use them as the starting point for narrative writing in lots of different ways, using the included list of teaching ideas!
- Eight Display Banners - Printable banners to add to your classroom displays as your children learn about different aspects of narrative writing.
Alternative versions of many of these resources are also included in the pack. These are intended for use with older learners. They have similar content, but do not include the animal characters.
Click on the thumbnails below to view samples of resources from The Narrative Writing Pack.
and you can download all of our current and future packs for a year!
All payments are handled securely. Questions? Read our FAQ.
Reviews from our members:
What a wonderful resource.
The Narrative Writing pack is just wonderful. The posters are so creative and colourful. I love the way you have done posters for both the younger students and the older students, that helps us our so much.
My class just loved using the opening and having the posters to refer to and remind them.
Thank you 🙂
This pack on narrative features is a great resource for middle school. Very useful in practical ways to encourage kids to use all the narrative features we are teaching them!
Great Narrative Materials
My class really found the materials in this pack helpful. I particularly found the categories and examples for openings and closings extremely helpful. My students were able to produce some incredible stories thanks to the modeling these materials provided.
The Narrative Writing Pack was so thorough and beautiful. It came in right at the right time. Our third grade team was beginning to teach this for our next Benchmark skill. I was able to share some of the posters with the team members. Some of them decided they wanted to become Teacher Pack members, too!
What a great pack with everything you will need to help teach narrative writing. The posters are really helpful and attractive. Each aspect of narrative writing is covered and the templates proved the structure young students need. Excellent for my EAL students too. The writing prompts are really useful and the students love them.
Fantastic Support Respource
I have been working on Narrative writing with my class lately and have found the poster cards in particular to be a great visual help when explaining things like criteria. The children really enjoy the colourful and engaging layout.
I am teaching Fractured Fairytales and this is exactly what I need to support students creating their own Fractured Fairytale. The templates will help students create their FF and the display posters support them in learning new vocab to help create their story. This is my 2nd year with Teaching Packs and I find every resource extremely helpful in my teaching across Yr.7 to Yr.14 so in NZ 10 to 17-years. Awesome always so Thank You..
Narrative Writing Pack
I really love this resource for the ESOL parents who are struggling with the English. The posters and table mats were helpful reminders of so many important things that we wanted to include in the writing. These posters helped the parents to edit their writing and to write more interesting stories. We hung the work up for display and many teachers wanted to know how we were able to get the parents to include such interesting details.
Narrative writing pack
I love this pack, we are re-writing fairy tales in my class and use the templates all the time. The children love the posters with the suggestions on character features and descriptions of settings. I have printed the posters and children flock to them for ideas all the time. Well done Teaching Packs!
The Narrative Writing Pack assisted me in changing my class attitude to writing! My students are now enthused to take a 'lucky dip' and draw out a picture stimulus to use for narrative writing. They now enjoy the opportunity to plan and write creatively, where they didn't previously. Thank you for this resource!