The Instruction Writing Pack contains a wide range of printable activities and resources to use in your Literacy lessons. A fantastic set of teaching materials and independent activities to support and enhance your children's instructional writing.
Join Teaching Packs to download these resources today!
- An Eleven Page Instruction Writing Guide - A child-friendly guide to instruction writing! Show it on a large display and use it as a teaching tool... print it for use on a classroom wall... or give children copies of the smaller cards for their own reference!
- Four Examples of Instructions - A set of four instructions that you can share with your class. Show them how instructions are organised… What features have been used? What is good about them? What could be improved?
- Four Examples of Instructions with Missing Text - Ask your children to write suitable instructions for each step, using the photos to help them. Can they use bossy / imperative verbs and appropriate connectives?
- Four Sets of Jumbled Instructions - Cut out the matching photos and instructions and challenge your children to put them back into the correct order!
- Thirty-Six Instruction Writing Activity Cards - A large collection of ideas for instruction writing. Give children a card (or let them choose one) and ask them to create a set of instructions to achieve the goal shown on it!
- Two Instruction Writing Checklists - Give children a copy of these checklists so that they can review (and improve) their instructions.
- Two Instruction Writing Planners – Planning templates to use as part of your instructions lessons. Print them out and write on them or edit them directly using word processing software.
- One Simplifying Instructions Challenge – A set of ten long and confusing instructions. Can your children make them easier to understand?
- Thirteen Pages of Instruction Writing Labels - Printable labels showing imperative verbs and connectives that can be used in instruction writing. Add them to a classroom display or give children a random label and ask them to use it in an appropriate sentence!
- Five Display Banners - A collection of banners to decorate your classroom during your instruction writing topic.
Alternative versions of many of these resources are also included in the pack, which are intended for use with older learners. They have similar content, but do not include the cartoon robot character.
Watch the video below to view samples of resources from the Instruction Writing Pack.
All payments are handled securely. Questions? Visit our Help Pages.
Reviews from our members:
Submit your review
A fantastic pack of resources that differentiates between lower and higher ability and younger and older students. As a teacher of KS4 SEN students, its hard to find resources that are at the right ability level, but don't look too primary school!Thank you very much!
As a new teacher, so glad I found this website. The instructions pack is brilliant... all the pieces of the puzzle I need as I embark on my new career.
I used this pack with my current Year 3 class. After searching the internet for some clear and visual display resources I finally came across Teaching Packs. This pack had everything I needed, not only for a simple and clear display, but also well differentiated lesson resources. As a class we did a cold write of what to do when the fire alarm sounds. We then planted seeds and wrote a set of instructions using the resources from this pack. Finally the children had to follow the lizard card instructions independently and then improve them. An extremely valuable resource that saved me so much preparation time, that I was able to concentrate on helping the children really grasp the features and concepts of instructional writing. Thank you Teaching Packs team. GREAT job!
Year 6 had a great bit of fun making their 'dragons'. A welcome break from the pressure of SATs and a great lead into analysing instructions and writing our own.
Thank you so much for this, having a very tired moment when I should be enjoying Christmas and here it is. Everything I will need for the coming term.
I love this pack ! I have some of the posters on the wall along with the kids published instructions for making Banana cake. this kids found the visual posters a great help. I found this site by accident and love it because i have a new baby and just returned to work and i dont have the i used to, to sit and create resources for my classroom.
So I was apprehensive about submitting a review on writing resources, since this is such a topic of debate here in the U.S.A. From a purely standards-based p.o.v., these two packs fall into what we call "Informational Writing." Of course, after reviewing them I realized how important a distinction needed to be made in regards to the two sub-genres.
I appreciate that there are two iterations of the writing samples included in the Explanation Pack, as this makes for a great discussion on revisions. However, most useful was the connection my students were able to make when using the examples from each pack related to chocolate.
I think if I had any constructive criticism for improving these packs, it would be to have the packs make more connections between the content of the two packs. In this way, regardless of which writing style was covered first , students would have an immediate connection and background knowledge of the topic being written about.
The Water Cycle - How to Reclaim & Recycle Water;
How to Grow a Sunflower - Making Sunflower Seed Butter;
Life Cycle of a Butterfly - How to Plant a Butterfly Garden
All in all, I love these packs and the graphics make teaching of what is generally tedious work, more palatable.
Just what I needed for my working wall and as resources for class unit of work. Information is clear and attractive.
This pack is awesome! It has become a class favourite. My kids enjoy the how to make a lizard activity it has been used many times and its a great early finishers activity. My kids love it so I love it!
I am about to start a unit on instructional texts with my yr 5/6 class. I've been busy surfing the web for ideas and resources and then I remembered my teaching packs subscription... Sure enough, there was the perfect pack - The Instruction Pack, with all the resources I could ever need. The best part is that it includes materials that will cater to a variety of student needs. No more surfing necessary!