Help your children to write clear and detailed explanations with our complete teaching resource pack! Includes teaching guides, explanation writing examples, activity resources and display materials.
Join Teaching Packs to download these resources today!
Already a member? Log In
- Fourteen Explanation Writing Posters – Our handy guide to explanation writing can be used for whole class teaching, shared reading activities, independent reference or displayed on a classroom wall!
- Four Examples of Explanation Writing – Your pupils can explore our differentiated explanation writing examples, identifying key features and highlighting technical vocabulary. Related flowcharts and planning templates are also included.
- Three Writing Checklists – Get your children to review and improve their explanation writing with our differentiated checklists.
- Thirty-Two Explanation Writing Activity Cards – A set of ideas for explanation writing. Give children a card and ask them to research, plan and write the explanation text!
- Twenty Causes and Effects – Can you children match the causes and effects together and then use them to write a sentence?
- Three Explanation Writing Planners – Templates to help your children plan and write their own explanation texts.
- Ten Causal Language Labels – Printable labels showing causal language that can be used in your explanation writing.
- Five Explanation Writing Banners – Decorate the display boards in your classroom with our printable banners.
Many of these resources are also available in additional versions without the character illustrations, to make them more appropriate for use with older learners. Watch the video below to view samples of resources from the Explanation Writing Pack.
Join Teaching Packs
Become a member today to download all of our resource packs!
Already a member? Log In
Our members have also downloaded these Teaching Packs:
Submit your review
I found it helpful for me to understand the features of an explanation task when creating a unit on explaining the water cycle and how to make ice cream.
Some helpful images and details to include in my slides to provide children with a visual learning aid.
Hi Mark and Helen, I am wondering if anyone else is having an issue with the Life cycle of butterfly pdf document. I can see the pictures and titles for each picture, but there are only dots in the text boxes. If you can sort this, I would love if you could email me the correct document. I have been a member for years and I regularly check out and use the wonderful resources that you make. I would give this 5 stars if the butterfly document was corrected. Or maybe it's my laptop?
Thanks for your review, Mairéad. That resource seems to be working fine here, but I've sent an email to you to see if I can help further.
I liked the variety of activities offered
A very useful pack for display purposes, for the planning of explanation ideas and a useful list of features necessary for an explanation text. The colorful and engaging nature of these resources makes them attractive to my children.
A range of examples of good explanations for a WAGOLL wall would have made it better, with the features already highlighted or emphasized. Otherwise a very good pack.
This is an excellent pack which I used to supplement a topic on Chocolate. The pack included some great information about how chocolate is made. It was a really useful resource.
I really liked this pack, however I found that the checklists were too tricky for the lower classes. A very basic checklist would be useful.
Lovely, clear and easy-to-use pack!
Brilliant!! Just Brilliant!! This pack saved me hours of work and one of my colleagues immediately subscribed when she seen my resources. Thank you
This was a fabulous resource! I was inundated with ideas and examples for my class. I was able to introduce, review and assess - so many resources! Fantastic!
This is a fantastic resource. It had a really useful checklist that my class could check the features of an explanation. It has some great examples and a simple explanation planner.