Help your children to write clear and detailed explanations with our complete teaching resource pack! Includes teaching guides, explanation writing examples, activity resources and display materials.
Join Teaching Packs to download these resources today!
- Fourteen Explanation Writing Posters - Our handy guide to explanation writing can be used for whole class teaching, shared reading activities, independent reference or displayed on a classroom wall!
- Four Examples of Explanation Writing - Your pupils can explore our differentiated explanation writing examples, identifying key features and highlighting technical vocabulary. Related flowcharts and planning templates are also included.
- Three Writing Checklists - Get your children to review and improve their explanation writing with our differentiated checklists.
- Thirty-Two Explanation Writing Activity Cards - A set of ideas for explanation writing. Give children a card and ask them to research, plan and write the explanation text!
- Twenty Causes and Effects - Can you children match the causes and effects together and then use them to write a sentence?
- Three Explanation Writing Planners - Templates to help your children plan and write their own explanation texts.
- Ten Causal Language Labels - Printable labels showing causal language that can be used in your explanation writing.
- Five Explanation Writing Banners - Decorate the display boards in your classroom with our printable banners.
Many of these resources are also available in additional versions without the character illustrations, to make them more appropriate for use with older learners.
Click on the thumbnails below to view samples of resources from The Explanation Writing Pack.
All payments are handled securely. Questions? Visit our Help Pages.
Reviews from our members:
I liked the variety of activities offered
A very useful pack for display purposes, for the planning of explanation ideas and a useful list of features necessary for an explanation text. The colorful and engaging nature of these resources makes them attractive to my children.
A range of examples of good explanations for a WAGOLL wall would have made it better, with the features already highlighted or emphasized. Otherwise a very good pack.
This is an excellent pack which I used to supplement a topic on Chocolate. The pack included some great information about how chocolate is made. It was a really useful resource.
I really liked this pack, however I found that the checklists were too tricky for the lower classes. A very basic checklist would be useful.
Lovely, clear and easy-to-use pack!
Brilliant!! Just Brilliant!! This pack saved me hours of work and one of my colleagues immediately subscribed when she seen my resources. Thank you
The Explanation Pack
This was a fabulous resource! I was inundated with ideas and examples for my class. I was able to introduce, review and assess - so many resources! Fantastic!
This is a fantastic resource. It had a really useful checklist that my class could check the features of an explanation. It has some great examples and a simple explanation planner.
Explanation writing pack
This was invaluable in helping my class to plan and write their explanation. The posters helped them to learn the different features of the genre and provided an aide memoir as they were writing. the checklists and ideas of activities saved me lots of time in planning and preparation and are presented in a lively and interesting way that appealed to my class.
I found this pack very useful and a great time saver. The pictures are very appealing to children and the layout is well designed to get their attention. Many thanks.