Extend your children’s comprehension skills with this enormous teaching and activity resource pack! Includes a range of quality texts with differentiated questions that challenge your students to find, summarise, make inferences and deductions, predict and more!
Join Teaching Packs to download these resources today!
- One Ten Page Comprehension Guide – A handy guide to different comprehension skills that you can share with your children. Includes information about reading skills, making connections, asking questions, checking the text, visualising, summarising, inference, deduction and more! Display this resource on an interactive whiteboard or print it our for reference / display purposes.
- One HUGE list of Comprehension Questions – A collection of example questions that you can use as prompts when discussing texts with the children in your class. Students could also use these to come up with their own comprehension questions about a text that they have read.
- Nine Sets of Comprehension Challenges – A wide variety of texts with related comprehension questions. Each text / answer sheet is differentiated three ways with answers for teachers.
- Twenty Puzzling Pictures – Twenty intriguing images with a variety of question prompts to encourage your children to look closely, interpret the situation and make connections and inferences.
- Twenty ‘What can you see, infer and ask?’ Image Prompts – A set of twenty pictures for your children to explore. Ask them to look carefully at each image and then identify what they can see, what they can infer and then think about what they would like to ask to find out more information.
- Twenty ‘What do you know? What can you infer? What would you like to ask?’ Challenges – Read each passage of text and ask your children to identify what they know, what they can infer and what they would like to ask. Twenty different passages are available.
- Twenty ‘What Happens Next?’ Prompts – A useful set of resources to support your children’s prediction skills. Can they work individually or together to use the information in the images / text and identify what might happen next? Different versions are available with space for one prediction… or with spaces for three. Which of these do your children think is most likely to happen (and why)?
- Four ‘My Prediction Chart’ Resources – Printable tables that ask children to record their predictions for a text (in the form of images or text) with separate spaces to describe what actually happened.
- Four ‘Comprehension Review’ Templates – A handy resource that challenges your students to think carefully about the texts that they are reading. Can they identify the characters / settings and summarise the plot? Can they find and define any new / unfamiliar vocabulary? Can they relate the text to other stories or experiences in their life? What questions would they like to ask about it?
- Ten Storygram Activities – Help your children to visualise what they are reading with our Instagram-themed activity! Ask your students to read the text and draw an image that represents what they have just read.
- Thirty-Six Fiction Question Cards – A set of question cards that you can use to discuss different aspects of a fiction text with your children. Also available as a single list of questions for teachers.
- Five Summary Templates – Help your children to identify the main events in stories and other texts using our five different templates.
- One Comprehension Certificate – Reward your children for their comprehension skills with our certificate.
- One Set of Comprehension Bookmarks – A collection of bookmarks that your children can refer to when they are reading. Includes a range of questions to encourage them to analyse the text in different ways.
Watch the video below to view samples of resources from the Comprehension Pack.
Join Teaching Packs
Become a member today to download all of our resource packs!
Our members have also downloaded these Teaching Packs:
Submit your review
I have been using these packs a lot with my Secondary SEN and EAL students. These comprehension packs have been a life saver when I am asked to provide independent work for my students to complete whilst I am tied up in Year 11 GCSE exams.
The ability to differentiate work is great too...
I can't wait to try out more packs as they become available.
I think this resource (and other learning packs) are amazing, they save me so much time for comprehension tasks - they are also used for homework. As an NQT, I am still finding my feet with time management, so these are super! I also love the inspirational images pack, there's some great stuff in there for inference and imaginative writing. Thank you.
This is an excellent set of resources however it would have 5 stars if it contained more Year 6 style SAT questions associated with the texts. The ones that are there such as the Healthy Eating and the Titanic for example are not stretching enough for the demands of the year 6 curriculum. The level of vocabulary needs to be at a much higher reading age or at least be able to select a text at this higher reading age to develop and engage your greater depth readers. But other than that I love it.
In my role as a specialist teacher for young learners with a variety of difficulties that impact on the development of their literacy skills I need resources that are written well, but colourful and not too much text in a paragraph etc. The development of comprehension skills is so important and some resources can overwhelm the reader who faces challenge/over load. These resources are of high-interest, but the style and presentation suits the dyslexia-friendly approach that is so important. The Titanic article 'went down a treat'!!!
What a blessing this Pack has been! I've often found it difficult to find comprehension materials, and these ones are real quality. The comprehension materials have been invaluable for my class, and for those children who needed extra practice.
Mostly, I've used the fiction and nonfiction comprehension exercises. They're just fantastic! All very interesting and readable, each one is repeated three times - an "easy" version of the text, that looks suitable for Years 2 or 3, a "medium" version, perhaps suitable for years 3 or 4, and a "hard" version, for years 5-6. Each one comes with a set of questions and answers. They are very well-written and target comprehension skills well.
I haven't yet used the other resources so much, but they certainly look very interesting - a guide to comprehension, and lots of exercises in describing and answering questions, as well as materials and exercises to use in comprehension sessions. I'm planning on using them more in the next year, when I shall be rethinking my comprehension plans.
Thanks again, Mark and Helen - terrific work!
Returning to normality amongst the classroom tomorrow and planning my last bit of work for the week and was looking for something fruity and fun with a bit of thought. I needed something the children could read and understand easily whilst gaining knowledge in literacy and HWB. Stumbled across this pack and it has a great little page on 5 a day for Comprehension which is differentiated perfect try for my class.
Looking forward to using it on Tuesday/Thursday and will post some pics later in the week.
I find myself returning to this pack very regularly as the activities are fantastic. I love the leveled comprehension pieces especially and the pictures for inferring and predicting.
Thank you for the great work you're doing to help teachers have appropriate resources to teach all school subject, myself I've used your English pack, History pack, Science and Maths packs.
Really hats off
I'm an English teacher from Spain. My kids are learning a lot using the English packs in class, although I miss some materials to work with interactive notebooks.
Just love the extent of activities in this pack, especially the inferring pictures which really make the students realise that we read and comprehend when we look at images!! We are focussing on comprehension strategies and this pack gave us so many differing ideas and new ideas. Thanks so much! Highly recommended!