Help your children to learn about the area and perimeter of shapes with our bumper resource pack. Includes a variety of classroom teaching, display and activity resources to introduce the topic to your children and then extend their knowledge and skills!
Join Teaching Packs to download these resources today!
- One Fifteen Page Guide to Area and Perimeter – A comprehensive guide to the topic that you can use for whole class teaching purposes. This document could also be printed for independent research / reference or for use on your classroom displays.
- Eighty Area and Perimeter Challenges – A huge collection of challenge cards to help your children review their area and perimeter skills!
- Ten ‘Calculate the Area’ Challenges – Can your children work out the area of these shapes. Includes a variety of shapes (at different levels of difficulty) including rectangles, triangles, compound shapes, parallelograms and more. Answers are also included.
- Twelve ‘Calculate the Perimeter’ Challenges – Give your children a chance to work out the perimeters of these shapes (including rectangles, triangles and more). Also includes answers for teachers and self-checking.
- Ten ‘Calculate the Area and Perimeter’ Challenges – Ask your students to work out the area and perimeter of these shapes. Available with different shapes and a variety of difficulty levels, with answers for teachers and self-checking.
- Ten ‘Farmer’s Field’ Investigations – Challenge your children to design new fields for the farmer that have a specific area or perimeter. Ten variations are available (at different levels of difficulty) with squared paper templates to use for working out the solutions.
- Two Playground Plans – Can your children calculate the area and perimeter of each piece of playground equipment? Two different playground plans are included (with squares / rectangles or compound shapes) and a blank version is also available so your children can design their own!
- Five Mechanical Maths Challenges – Ask your pupils to calculate the area and perimeter of each body part on these robots! A blank version is also included so that they can design their own.
- Fifteen ‘When do we use Area and Perimeter?’ Posters – A set of fifteen posters that give examples of people using area and perimeter outside of the classroom. Can your children think of any more?
- Two Area and Perimeter Posters – Two handy posters to help your children remember the difference between the area and the perimeter of a shape.
- Five Area and Perimeter Display Banners – A set of eye-catching banners to add to the Maths display boards in your classroom.
Watch the video below to view samples of resources from the Area and Perimeter Pack.
All payments are handled securely. Questions? Visit our Help Pages.
Reviews from our members:
Submit your review
I really found this pack useful. I was having difficulty explaining real life applications for use of area and perimeter but the set of photographs clarified it so much. The activity to estimate and measure the robot body parts was just the right level for my class, and I'm planning the zoo activity for after Easter holidays. Delighted I signed up to Teaching Packs.
My year 3s loved using the challenges in this pack. Worked well across all abilities.
Fantastic resource to use with year 4, 5, 6 students when covering this maths topic. Great to use for displays and also to initiate discussions and encourage kids to verbalise their understanding of concepts.
As always the presentation of this is outstanding.
What is disappointing is the lack of either scaffolding or space for students to show their working out- especially when it comes to calculating Area of shapes/compound shapes.
It is important we demonstrate how kids should set out their work
If a child is asked to calculate the area of a triangle, there should be 3 lines of working out
1. A line for the formula (this helps reinforce this knowledge into long term for the individual through repetition)
2.A line for students to substitute the numbers
3. The answer with correct units
Just my thoughts - I appreciate others may not mind if things are not so structured
Allow us the ability to edit the work sheets once they have been downloaded.
That way we can set play with the structure and formulae ourselves.
I prefer to teach area of squares/rectangles as
base times height
this then assists with leading into
area of a triangle is a half times base times height
This can also be demonstrated for the students visually through drawing a square/rectangle drawing a diagonal and cutting creating triangles-allowing the students to realise you are only using half a square/rectangle.
Thanks for this feedback Dimi. We will definitely take this into account as we make future packs and update existing ones.
Absolutely love all of your packs, but especially the booklets that accompany the maths packs. They are clear and concise and contain all of the information you need in a progressive manner. The display posters are clear and eye catching. Wouldn't be without my teaching packs. Thank you.
I can't remember how I stumbled across your website, but I found it in my first month as an NQT. In a single entry school, with no planning in place, and four children of my own at home I was finding things tough! I have now used many of your packs - Area and perimeter, Fractions, Time, Instructional texts and the Egyptians - and have recommended you to my Year 5 and 6 colleagues who are studying the Victorians. They, like me, have been delighted with the quality of your resources, the lovely photographs and story starters, and clear explanations. I now always go to your site first in the hope that you will have a pack waiting for me for my next topic! (Volcanoes and Tudors next!!). I am recommending you to all my fellow ex-students and the lecturers at St Mary's University, and would like to thank you very much for your fantastic products.
Along with all the other packs I am so happy to have found this website and resources. As a graduating teacher I have been looking for resources that are vibrant, dynamic, informative and easy to understand - not only for the students but also for me. Thank you Teaching Packs. Your hard work in preparing these great resources is much appreciated.
Teaching year 5 and 6 students is a challenge! To be able to access such a quality resource is fantastic! This pack has it all- the content is relevant to our curriculum and the activities, charts and challenges are engaging for students. Thank you for creating such fun learning experiences that are easy for teachers to apply! Teaching is hard enough without having to make all your own resources as well!
Used the perimeter downloads last week with my year 3 class. The playground activity sheet was very well received and they calculated the perimeters with enthusiasm. There is differentiation and extension included in the activities. A good resource pack. Looking forward to using angle resources this week.
I recently used this pack with my year 5 class to cover area and perimeter. I found it gave me plenty of range of activities to support those who were a little unsure of A & P whilst also offering suitable challenge tasks for those who were ready for them. The clear visual display posters were perfect for our working wall too!