Continue this story...
We had no idea how, or why, but we had arrived in a strange, alien landscape. Most of the land was covered in bold stripes of colour; we could see no soil, no trees, no rocks of any kind. Stupefied, we stared wordlessly, until Marina lifted her hand and pointed into the distance. “What is that?” she exclaimed.
- Where is this?
- Who might live here?
- What is the shape in the foreground?
- Why is the landscape stripy?
- Would you like to visit this place?
- What will happen next?
- Download our images of real volcanoes and find their location on a world map, or on Google Earth.
- Try this technique yourself. Sketch a simple landscape then colour it in bright stripes instead of natural colours.
- Make your own collage version of this scene using strips of coloured paper.