The Second World War (1939-1945) was a time of global conflict. The two sides were known as the Allies (led by Great Britain, the USA, France and the Soviet Union) and the Axis (led by Germany, Italy and Japan).
After the war, the United Nations was formed to try to prevent such a terrible war ever happening again.
Teach your children about World War 2 using our handy topic guide!
- Why not hold a World War 2 themed day?
- Can your children find all of the World War 2 vocabulary on this wordsearch?
- This worksheet will help your children to understand the outbreak of war.
- If you could go back in time, what questions would you ask a World War 2 character?
- Try our ideas for studying the life of Anne Frank.
- How would you spend your clothing coupons?
- What would you pack in your suitcase if you were an evacuee?
- Build your own Spitfire using this template on Teaching Ideas.
- Our World War 2 Pack is full of information and resources for teaching this topic.
- These World War 2 fact cards are useful for displays, research and quizzing.
- Use our World War 2 banner on your display boards.
- A set of images and supporting information exploring what children ate during World War 2.
- This terrific information page about life in World War 2 was made by a primary school class.
World War 2 Knowledge Organiser
Members of Teaching Packs can download a comprehensive knowledge organiser to accompany this topic. It includes key information that your children can use for reference and research, along with a timeline, vocabulary and more.
Not a member yet? Join us today!
World War 2 Facts
- World War 2 began on the 3rd of September 1939, when British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain declared war on Germany.
- The war in Europe ended on the 8th of May 1945 (VE day) and the war officially ended on the 2nd of September 1945, when Japan formally surrendered.
- Although it is described as a world war, some countries, including Sweden and Ireland, did not fight. They are known as neutral countries.
- Technology developed quickly during the war, and among the innovations of this time are radar, rockets and jet engines.
- The German Nazi party killed millions of people in the genocide know as the holocaust. Jewish people, Roma people, gay and disabled people, among others, who were hated by the Nazis, were sent to camps where they were forced to work as slaves and killed.
A Brief Overview of World War II
This video gives a brief overview of the war.
Running time: 3:28
Anne Frank, the Graphic Biography
A graphic biography of Anne Frank.
Running time: 3:07
Horrible Histories (RAF Pilot Song)
Sing along with the RAF pilot song from Horrible Histories.
Running time: 2:47
Horrible Histories (The World War 2 Girls Song)
Learn about the roles women took on during World War 2 with Horrible Histories.
Running time: 2:16
Are you teaching your children about other topics? Explore our full collection of guides!