Symmetry is an important idea in maths and science.
When a shape is exactly the same on both sides, as if it were reflected in a mirror along a line, it is said to have symmetry. Some examples of regular polygons that have symmetry are a square, a circle and an equilateral triangle.
Teach your children about the symmetry using our handy topic guide!
- Challenge your children to draw reflections using the mirror line on this worksheet.
- Try this simple way to investigate symmetry in shapes.
- Our symmetry blocks sheet has challenges at different levels.
- Encourage your children to think about symmetry with this simple worksheet.
- This art idea for making symmetrical butterflies is perfect to use with younger children.
- This interesting investigation on national flags from NRICH includes looking for lines of symmetry.
- Try this symmetry challenge from NRICH.
Symmetry Knowledge Organiser
Members of Teaching Packs can download a comprehensive knowledge organiser to accompany this topic. It includes key information that your children can use for reference and research.
Not a member yet? Join us today!
- When a shape or picture has symmetry, it is symmetrical.
- A shape or picture that does not have symmetry, is said to be asymmetrical.
- You can check if a shape is symmetrical by cutting it out of paper and seeing if it can be folded exactly into two halves, along a line of symmetry.
- Symmetry can be found in the natural world, for example in the honeycomb of a beehive or the arrangement of petals on a flower.
- The Taj Mahal is an example of a symmetrical building. Not only is the building symmetrical, in includes many symmetrical patterns in the floors and decorations.
Intro to Symmetry
A wonderful video that can be used to introduce your children to the concept of symmetry.
Running time: 2:35
Symmetry Song for Kids
A song that you can use to help your children learn about symmetry!
Running time: 3:14
The Symmetry Trick
This video shows a ‘trick’ that can be used to help your children draw symmetrical pictures.
Running time: 5:21
Create a Symmetrical Butterfly
An art demonstration that you can follow to create your own painting of a symmetrical butterfly.
Running time: 4:07
Are you teaching your children about other topics? Explore our full collection of guides!