The Qur’an is the sacred text of Islam.
Teach your children about Ramadan using our handy topic guide!
- Ask the children to think of kind deeds that they could perform during Ramadan. Our card is a great discussion starter.
- This page from the British Council has some independent activities that children could use when learning about Ramadan.
- Teach children about the Five Pillars of Islam and ask them to create a poster about them.
- Make a moon banner.
- The Muslim month of Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic calendar.
- Ramadan begins with the new moon and continues until the next new moon is seen.
- Ramadan is the month when Muhammad (PBUH) began to receive the words of the Qur’an from the angel Jibril.
- Sawm is the practice of fasting during Ramadan.
- During the month of Ramadan, many Muslims will read the Qur’an from beginning to end.
What is Ramadan? | Newsround
This video gives a good overview of Ramadan to introduce the topic.
Running time: 1:24
Ramadan and Eid-ul-Fitr
Sara introduces her family, who are fasting during the holy month of Ramadan.
Running time: 4:11
What is Ramadan? Fun Facts about Ramadan
This video gives facts about the festival.
Running time: 2:59
What is Ramadan? The Islamic Holy Month – Behind the News
A news report about Ramadan with lots of information.
Running time: 3:38
Lailah is finally old enough to join in with the fast at Ramadan, but it is difficult when she has just moved to a new country. This book will stimulate discussions with older children.
Are you teaching your children about other topics? Explore our full collection of guides!