Islam is the second most followed, and fastest-growing, religion in the world. The word Islam means “submission to the will of God”.
The religion was founded by the prophet Muhammad, in the 7th century.
Teach your children about the Islam using our handy topic guide!
- Followers of Islam are known as Muslims.
- Nearly 2 billion people worldwide follow Islam.
- Muslims believe in one God, Allah.
- The Qur’an is the holy book of Islam. It was given to Muhammad by the Angel Gabriel. Muhammad, who could not read or write, recited the message to his people.
- It is customary to say peace be upon him after the name of Muhammad. which is often abbreviated to pbuh.
Part of a series about Islam from BBC Teach. Kaisan and Naeem explain about studying the Qur’an.
Running time: 3:23
Alien Abduction: Islam
Amjal answers an alien interrogation about Islam. This short video is packed with information in a fun format.
Running time: 5:48
The Five Pillars of Islam
An animated clip explaining the Five Pillars of Islam.
Running time: 3:50
This video explains the significance of Mecca and the Hajj for Muslims.
Running time: 3:45
The complex geometry of Islamic design
This fascinating video explains the simple basis of Islamic patterns.
Running time: 5:06
Omar moves house and school. The class bully singles him out, and mum and dad aren’t exactly pleased with him either. Follow his adventures in this cartoon-style book.
Are you teaching your children about other topics? Explore our full collection of guides!