Fractions are parts of whole things. We use them every day. For example, when we are telling the time, we might talk about half an hour. When we are sharing a pizza with five other people, we can have one sixth of the pizza each.
Teach your children about fractions using our handy topic guide!
- Play the Sock Game. This simple activity develops tallying, estimating, fractions and probability.
- Use these activities (with worksheets) to reinforce the relationship between decimals and fractions.
- Try this great idea for creating a visual representation of fractions on your display boards.
- Teach your KS1 children all about fractions with this BBC Bitesize video, activity and interactive game.
- Take a look at this great range of lessons to help children learn about fractions.
- Try some of these interactive whiteboard / tablet-friendly activities when learning about fractions (some require Flash).
- Here are some great hands-on ways to teach your children about fractions.
- Download our popular pack of resources to teach your children about all aspects of fractions.
- Use our printable cards, showing equivalent fractions, decimals and percentages. Use them on a classroom display board or for a range of practical Maths activities!
- Download these printable resources and use them to help your children compare the sizes of different fractions!
- Use these picture puzzle challenges to review your students’ fractions skills!
- This selection of posters could be used as part of a display about fractions.
Fractions Knowledge Organiser
Members of Teaching Packs can download a comprehensive knowledge organiser to accompany this topic. It includes key information that your children can use for reference during their Maths work.
Not a member yet? Join us today!
- Evidence suggests that the ancient Egyptians used fractions to calculate taxes.
- It is thought that the term ‘fraction’ was first used the after the early 15th Century.
- The value of Pi (3.142…) cannot be expressed as a fraction.
Let’s Learn Fractions – Understanding Math for Kids
This video for younger children introduces fractions, numerators and denominators.
Running time: 2:39
Converting Fractions to Decimals Song
This fun song will help you remember how to convert fractions to decimals.
Running time: 3:27
Hands-On Fraction Activities
Make your own fractions kit with the instructions in this helpful video.
Running time: 8:53
Are you teaching your children about other topics? Explore our full collection of guides!
If you have found a broken link, or if you have any other suggestions to add to this page, please let us know. Thank you!