When anything moves, or stops moving, forces are at work! Forces are pushes and pulls that act on objects. Without the force of gravity, for example, we would not be able to stay on the ground!
Machines, from simple tools like levers up to complicated mechanisms like an engine, increase the strength of a force, or change its direction.
Teach your children about the forces using our handy topic guide!
- Find examples of forces in action with our fun treasure hunt.
- Find out what your children already know about pushes and pulls, with this sheet for younger children.
- Link your forces work into a history topic, with this super activity about archery.
- Investigate the best material to use when making a toy in the Friction Challenge.
- Learn about forces with yoyos!
- Design and make your own pinball machine.
- Investigate gravity with everyday objects.
- Download our Forces Pack for plenty of handy resources.
- This photo story about a skydive is a fantastic way to kick off a discussion about forces.
- Download this two-week plan, packed with practical activities for teaching about forces.
- Visit the Oak National Academy video lessons on forces.
- Test yourself with this forces quiz.
- A force is either a push or a pull.
- Forces are measured in Newtons. A force meter, or Newton meter, measures force using a spring.
- Air resistance. or drag, is a force which slows objects down as they move through air.
- Friction is a force that occurs when two surfaces rub together.
- You cannot see a force, but you can see its effect.
Science Lyric Video – Gravity
Learn all about gravity with this catchy song.
Running time: 3:54
Balanced and unbalanced forces
This live lesson from the BBC explains balanced and unbalanced forces.
Running time: 5:02
Isaac Newton | Illustrating History
Find out about the life of Isaac Newton and his discovery of gravity.
Running time: 3:00
What Is A Force?
This video provides a brief overview of forces.
Running time: 3:37
Are you teaching your children about other topics? Explore our full collection of guides!