The civilization of the Ancient Egyptians, centred around the River Nile, is a fascinating topic. The Ancient Egyptians built the pyramids and developed hieroglyphics, one of the world’s first writing systems. They also built irrigation systems to water the land for growing crops, and used the first ramps and levers in building.
The Ancient Egyptians worshipped over 2,000 gods and goddesses, including Anubis, the god of mummification, and Thoth, the god of writing, magic and wisdom.
Teach your children about Ancient Egypt using our handy topic guide!
- Create a silent movie that uses the first movement of Ballet Égyptien by Luigini as its sound track.
- Make your own canopic jars.
- Make a Lego shaduf.
- Try writing in hieroglyphs.
- Try your hand at making papyrus.
- Write a report about Egyptian beliefs about the afterlife. This is a useful site for information.
- Write some instructions on how to mummify a person. This site will help you.
- Make a fact file about the Egyptian gods.
- Write a newspaper report about the discovery of Tutankhamun’s tomb.
- Try mummifying a tomato using salt and bicarbonate of soda or epsom salts.
Egyptians Knowledge Organiser
Members of Teaching Packs can download a comprehensive knowledge organiser to accompany this topic. It includes key information that your children can use for reference and research, along with a timeline, a glossary, a map and illustrations.
Not a member yet? Join us today!
- The Ancient Egyptian civilization lasted for 3,000 years, the longest-lasting civilization in human history!
- During mummification, a hook was inserted into the nose to remove the brain.
- The Great Pyramid of Giza was the tallest man made structure in the work for over 3,800 years.
- Only priests could enter Ancient Egyptian temples.
- The Sphinx was cut out of natural limestone. It is twenty metres tall.
Daily Life in Ancient Egypt
A visit to an ancient village to explore the daily lives of Ancient Egyptians.
Running time: 10:04
Introducing Ancient Egypt
A great introduction to Egyptian buildings and religion.
Running time: 5:23
Find out how the Egyptians mummified their dead.
Running time: 2:38
Would you add Cleopatra on social media?
Running time: 4:00
Pyramid Facts for Kids
Discover the history of the pyramids.
Running time: 3:30
Are you teaching your children about other topics? Explore our full collection of guides!