The Ancient Greek civilisation began in the 8th century BC. Ancient Greece was not one country, but was made up of city states who were often at war with each other.
The influence of this time in history can still be felt today; modern ideas about democracy started in Ancient Greece. We also still enjoy reading and learning about Ancient Greek gods and their myths, and scientific ideas such how levers and pulleys work come from that era too.
Teach your children about Ancient Greece using our handy topic guide!
- Try out our ideas for a Greek themed day.
- Learn about life under Ancient Greek rule in this fun comic strip.
- Try out these arts and crafts projects such as pottery and temple building.
- Build a temple online (requires flash player).
- Explore this video and supporting teaching ideas about the ancient origins of the Olympics from TedEd.
- Why not try some Greek food tasting?
- Take a look at these great teaching ideas and resources from the BBC, all about Ancient Greece.
- Create Grecian Urns with these easy to follow instructions.
- Download our Ancient Greece Pack for lots of information and resources.
Ancient Greece Knowledge Organiser
Members of Teaching Packs can download a comprehensive knowledge organiser to accompany this topic. It includes key information that your children can use for reference and research, along with a timeline and a glossary of related words.
Not a member yet? Join us today!
Ancient Greece Facts
- Ancient Greek pottery was decorated with scenes of soldiers, gods or daily life, as well as geometric patterns.
- The first Olympic games were held in 776 in the city-state Olympia.
- Events at the Greek’s Olympics included wrestling, boxing, long jump, javelin, discus and chariot racing. But those taking part in the wrestling event had to be the toughest, as there were hardly any rules.
- The earliest Greek civilisations thrived nearly 4,000 years ago. The Ancient Greeks lived in Greece and the countries that we now call Bulgaria and Turkey.
- The capital and largest city in Greece is Athens. Other major cities include Thessaloniki, Patras and Heraklion.
Ancient Greece | Educational Videos for Kids
This video is a good introduction to Ancient Greek government and mythology.
Running time: 3:48
What did the Greeks do for us?
Learn how Ancient Greek ideas are still important today with this video.
Running time: 1:42
A day in the life of an ancient Athenian
What was life like in Ancient Athens? Find out with this short and informative video.
Running time: 5:01
Ancient Greeks for Primary Education
A brief introduction to Ancient Greek history.
Running time: 1:28
The Olympic Games
This video introduces the Olympic Games and gives lots of information about them.
Running time: 7:30
It’s All Greek To Me!
This fantastic song can be used to support the teaching of your Ancient Greece topic.
Running time: 3:02
Make hummus Ancient Greek-style!
In this video, the children at Sheriffhales School travel back in time to make their own healthy hummus!
Running time: 3:41
Are you teaching your children about other topics? Explore our full collection of guides!
If you have found a broken link, or if you have any other suggestions to add to this page, please let us know. Thank you!