When you’re meeting a new class, or group of children, for the first time, asking questions can be a great way of getting to know more about each other. We have put together a list of 100 questions and prompts that can be used to support your transition activities.
You could choose a small selection of questions from the list below and talk about these as a group, pick one of the questions and use it as the starting point for a writing / drawing task, or let children choose some of the questions at random and then discuss the answers in pairs or small groups. You could also ask them to come up with some questions to help them learn more about you!
The questions below are sorted into different groups. Many of them could also be followed with ”and why?” to encourage children to think more carefully about their response and the reasons for it.
- What is your favourite book?
- Who is your favourite author?
- What is your favourite movie?
- What is your favourite TV show?
- Who is your favourite character from a book, TV show or movie?
- What if your favourite song or band?
- What is your favourite colour?
- What is your favourite animal?
- What is your favourite type of food?
- What is your favourite game or sport?
- What is your favourite time of year?
- What if your favourite type of weather?
- What is your favourite smell?
- What is your favourite way to relax?
- What is your favourite way to spend time with others?
If you could…
- If you could be an animal, what would you be, and why?
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
- If you could travel back in time, what year would you go to?
- If you could swap places with anyone in the world, who would you choose?
- If you could share a meal with any three people alive today, who would you choose?
- If you could share a meal with any three people from the past, who would you choose?
- If you could share a meal with any three fictional characters, who would you choose?
- If you could invent something that would change the world, what would it be?
- If you could change your name, what would you call yourself?
- If you could live on a deserted island, what three things would you take with you?
- If you could be in charge of a school, a town or a country, what three new rules would you introduce?
- If you could talk to your toys, what would you say? What would they tell you?
- If you could choose to do anything for the day, what would you do?
- If you could be a superhero, what would your special powers be?
- If you could be invisible for the day, what would you do?
Strengths and weaknesses
- What is one of your skills or talents?
- What, do you think, is something that you need to get better at?
- What do you find easy to do?
- What do you find difficult to do sometimes?
- How do you deal with problems that you have to face?
- When have you overcome a really difficult challenge? How did you do it?
- When have you given up on something? How did it make you feel?
- What is something that you always wanted to achieve?
- What is the most important lesson you have ever learned?
- What is the most important skill you have achieved in your life so far?
Hopes, dreams and goals
- What job would you like to do when you are older (and why)?
- What is a skill that you have always wanted to learn?
- What dreams and ambitions do you have for the future?
- What would you like to learn about in the next year?
- What are your targets for the next week, month or year?
Who, what or when?
- What is your proudest achievement?
- Who is your hero (and why)?
- Who is your best friend?
- What do you like the most about your friend?
- What is your happiest memory?
- What is something that always makes you laugh?
- What is the best gift that you have ever received?
- What are your hobbies?
- What is something that you would miss if you didn’t have it any more?
- What is the best place you have ever visited, and why?
- What is the last book that you read? What did you like or dislike about it?
- What is the craziest thing you have ever done?
- Who is the best person that you know?
- When was the last time you made somebody smile?
- When was the last time you made somebody laugh?
- When was the last time you felt overjoyed?
- When was the last time you felt sad about something?
- What new things have you learned already today?
- Who or what made you smile today?
- What has been the best part of your day so far?
- What has been the worst part of your day so far?
- What is something that you are not allowed to do, that you wish you could do?
- What would you say to an alien?
- What would you say to your hero?
- What are you thankful for?
Tell us about…
- A time when you have been excited.
- A time when you have had a nice surprise.
- A time when you have been brave.
- A time when you have felt nervous.
- The best thing you have done today so far.
- Something that you like to collect.
- Something that you like to play.
- Something you are most proud of.
- Something that you are most looking forward to.
- A person you love.
Would you rather?
- Would you rather be five years older or five years younger?
- Would you rather have a pet dinosaur, dragon or unicorn?
- Would you rather be a fast runner or a fast swimmer?
- Would you rather spend time indoors or outdoors?
- Would you rather be extremely lucky or extremely smart?
- Would you rather have a magic wand or be able to fly?
- Would you rather have no homework or be paid to do your homework?
- Would you rather read a book or listen to an audiobook?
- Would you rather have lots of good friends or a few great friends?
- Would you rather have feet for hands or hands for feet?
- What is your favourite memory?
- Do you have any nicknames? Where did they come from?
- Do you love, like, dislike or hate surprises?
- If you won the lottery, how would you spend the money?
- What words or phrases would your friends use to describe you?
- Do you have any pets?
- If a genie granted you three wishes, what would you wish for?
- Do you prefer to work on your own or in a team?
- Are you a clean or a messy person?
- What would you keep in a secret hideout?
Members of Teaching Packs can also download a PDF copy of this list in our Transition Pack. We have also made it available as a list of question cards, with each question on a separate card.
Interested in more?
We share popular resource packs, topic guides, inspiring images and much more, to help teachers and educators around the world!